Please Support No Kill Manatee County! ADOPTION EVENT JULY 27TH 2013! Please Tell 3 Friends and They Tell 3 Friends!
Many times people are afraid to adopt an older dog – not because they don’t like them, or are afraid of any extra care or money that might be needed – but because of how soon they might lose them. But death is a part of life. Imagine giving a senior dog a loving, secure, and happy retirement home for whatever time he has left. His life, and yours, will be richer for it.
The Benefits of Adopting an Older Dog
- Calmer temperaments. Older dogs are less likely to have that crazy puppy energy that can challenge even the most patient of pet owners! Senior dogs often enjoy just hanging out with their people or going for quiet walks.
- What you see is what you get. You know how big the dog is going to get (he’s already full grown) and you know his temperament.
- Many older dogs are already good house pets. They’re housetrained, know what they should (or shouldn’t) chew, and are happy to find a soft place to nap. And they’re happy to share their nap time with their people, too.
- You give a deserving dog a loving home. Every animal needs love, even older ones. They still have lots of love to give and deserve a family that will return that love.
Homes Suitable for Older Dogs
There’s no easy answer to figuring out what kind of home is best suited to a senior dog. Senior dogs’ personalities and abilities are as varied as younger dogs (and people)! Some of the things to consider, though, include:
- Easy access around the house. It’s easier for older dogs with joint or mobility problems if they don’t have to navigate a lot of steep stairs. There are ways around this, of course – many companies these days manufacture ramps that will help dogs climb onto their favorite couches, beds, etc.
- Quieter household. Young, rambunctious children or dogs (or other pets) might not be the best fit for a senior dog that enjoys his sleep!
- Families willing and able to care for an older pet. This includes time, effort, and finances. Many dogs live to a ripe old age, happy, active, and with only minor health issues. However, if the aging process starts to catch up with the pooch, his family should be willing and able to put in the extra effort and money into his care.
- Rescued Dogs From Bosnia Looking For New Forever Homes…Can U Help (preciousjules1985.wordpress.com)
- Dogs rescued in animal cruelty case (kfor.com)
- The Pet Collective: Unbelievable: 89 Dogs Rescued From a Hoarder; Here’s One Dog’s Story (huffingtonpost.com)
- Niverville Dog Adoption Fair (dreamdogrescueblog.wordpress.com)
There are many reasons that people do not adopt a black cat or dog. One reason is that they are superstitious. Really? Wow, not adopting a four-legged family member due to the color of their skin is just simply well silly!
- Colour carries little clout when it comes to B.C. pet adoptions (theprovince.com)
- “Black dog syndrome” forces Saskatchewan strays to Vancouver Island for adoption (globalnews.ca)
- A Mother’s “Intuition” (animallovergal82.wordpress.com)
- The Mysterious Black Cat (misticaluna.wordpress.com)
- Why Black Is Best (humanrescuesdog.com)
- Witches & Black Cats (hannahdoveblog.wordpress.com)
- April Cat Adoption Special (franklintails.wordpress.com)
- Bay Area Families Seek Ex-Guide Dog Trainees For Adoption (sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com)
“Rescue Of The Day” and “Oh So True”! New Categories Now On Concrete For A Cause! Tanners P.A.W.S SEE LINK- http://www.tannerspaws.org/
http://www.tannerspaws.org/ See this link for a great rescue! See gardendeco914 on ebay.com for ways to contribute to animal rescues, and great causes!!!
- Rescue a Rescue – Concrete For A Cause Sells Items To Help Rescue=We Will Help Your Rescue By Listing Your Items On Ebay-Mission Fish! Please Contac Us On Ebay Under gardendeco914! Or Call At 941-661-0840 (concreteforacause.wordpress.com)
- Every Cat Should Own A Dog (takingonacause.com)